Sign in to follow this  
Richarda

Wood source

6 hours ago, Coop said:

I hope your boss is patient and it’s still at his house and not in your truck?

Yep..  Hasn't been loaded back on the truck yet..

16 hours ago, Coop said:

From past experience with your lumber, I doubt that I will be disappointed. 

How could you be disappointed with Free Lumber and Free Shipping.....LOL.....

19 hours ago, Kev said:

Hell, the Montana boy doesn't even have it home yet!  lol

I hope the Montana boy still lives at the same address as his shop, when he gets home. LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spanky said:

I hope the Montana boy still lives at the same address as his shop, when he gets home. LOL

He does!  Just maybe a little closer to the shop than the house!

4 hours ago, Spanky said:

How could you be disappointed with Free Lumber and Free Shipping.....LOL.....

I took all but one each of the boards to my work and stacked and stickered them until I found a need. I kept a 4’ x 12” piece of hard maple and today, decided to have a look at the grain. The board had a slight twist and I ripped it down the center which gave me two twisted boards. I used winding sticks to determine where the twist started and cross cut them at that point. Then ran them thruthe jointer and planer. Some darn nice grain there Rickey.

F1A0259B-222C-410A-905C-3E4E53EC8FB6.thumb.jpeg.fc54f28b7479dadf49a55c084bee81f5.jpeg

• Like 2

As I can’t edit, i’ll Just add. In my case above, is there a suggested better way to take the twist out other than building a 5’ sled for the planer? 

1 hour ago, Coop said:

I took all but one each of the boards to my work and stacked and stickered them until I found a need. I kept a 4’ x 12” piece of hard maple and today, decided to have a look at the grain. The board had a slight twist and I ripped it down the center which gave me two twisted boards. I used winding sticks to determine where the twist started and cross cut them at that point. Then ran them thruthe jointer and planer. Some darn nice grain there Rickey.

Damn..  I shipped the wrong stuff to Coop 😉

Nothing wrong with what you did to work the twist.  Before I got the current jointer, I would often use the drum sander and a quick sled to get a board flat enough to get into the planer..

Looking down the sticks, it appeared to be about a 1/4” off from opposing corners. I could, I guess, have used a hand plane but this is some wonky grain. 

Kev, there seems to be a pattern. I can’t edit if there is a pic involved but can if there isn’t. Certainly not something I can’t live with. Just FYI.

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Kev, there seems to be a pattern. I can’t edit if there is a pic involved but can if there isn’t. Certainly not something I can’t live with. Just FYI.

The edit is being worked on by the software developer..  It's in the works..

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Looking down the sticks, it appeared to be about a 1/4” off from opposing corners. I could, I guess, have used a hand plane but this is some wonky grain. 

1/4" is certainly something the drum sander can handle with a quick sled..  Just a chunk of ply with the board stabilized on it..  I have a few chunks of ply in the shop for this purpose..

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 9:20 PM, Coop said:

I have to sell the junk lumber to somebody! 😎 LOL

13 hours ago, Spanky said:

I have to sell the junk lumber to somebody! 😎 LOL

After sending a piece of this hard maple thru the drum sander and going thru the grits with the ros, I could take a picture and run my hand across it with a description on how it feels, but it darn sure wouldn’t do it justice. This wood is a piece of art in itself. I think you should go ahead and cash that $1 check so I won’t feel so guilty! 😄

Finally building my desk. A shame I can’t get some of amazing figured walnut 😞 ... gonna have to shop local and see what I can find 

1 hour ago, Bushwacked said:

Finally building my desk. A shame I can’t get some of amazing figured walnut 😞 ... gonna have to shop local and see what I can find 

Hmm..  I have a load of it stuck here in Oklahoma with me...lol