Jump to content
Jamie

Grizzly bandsaw

Recommended Posts

Thought this topic would fit better here in its own thread.....

link to past discussion  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here is a quick video of the saw running, am I making to big of deal over it all?
 

grizzy response from today is.....

Dear Jamie,

 

Thank you for your prompt replies.

 

On the blade tensioner on the back of the machine, there are two longer set screws with hex nuts in place.  Loosen the hex nut on the side of the wheel that moves, and then, tighten the set screw until it just stops against the hinge.  Hold the set screw in place with the hex wrench, and snug the hex nut against the upper wheel sliding bracket.  Test the machine again for vibration.  Please let us know your findings.

 

Tried that and the set screws were tight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lmao..  That's definitely an unbalanced wheel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree not a expert tho just play one on the internet 😏

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kev said:

lmao..  That's definitely an unbalanced wheel!

Yeah I agree that something is out of wack. Does yours shake nearly that much? 
Will see what they respond to the video. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jamie said:

Yeah I agree that something is out of wack. Does yours shake nearly that much? 
Will see what they respond to the video. 

Mine doesn't shake at all..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grizzly got back to me on Saturday. 

 

Dear Jamie,

 

Thank you for your prompt reply.

 

Unfortunately, at this point, we believe the best option would be to return the bandsaw for repair, or replacement, based upon our inspection.  Please note that you would be responsible for packaging the machine, preferably in the original packaging.  We would then email you information for return shipping.  Please advise if this is acceptable.

 

I got back to them and will be boxing the saw back up.  It’s kinda disappointing because I could use it on the table project.  I did mention in my response that a riser block upgrade would be nice for the trouble, they responded by saying compensation will be determined later.  Overall I’ve been happy with their customer service, not happy with the product so far. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious, what is the resew capacity without the riser block?  I know some people have added them to this model but I also know that it can stress the frame of the saw.  On my Laguna it is 13 inches and I don't think I have ever resawn anything over 8 inches mainly because there hasn't been a need and I don't find much at the lumber yard over 8 inches wide anyway.

I can see people that slice their own veneer needing the capacity.

Just playing devils advocate here.:classic_wink:  Coop will tell you I am good at helping people spend their money and here I am trying t save you your's. 

  • Like 1

“If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”  John Wooden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chet said:

Just curious, what is the resew capacity without the riser block?  I know some people have added them to this model but I also know that it can stress the frame of the saw.  On my Laguna it is 13 inches and I don't think I have ever resawn anything over 8 inches mainly because there hasn't been a need and I don't find much at the lumber yard over 8 inches wide anyway.

I can see people that slice their own veneer needing the capacity.

Just playing devils advocate here.:classic_wink:  Coop will tell you I am good at helping people spend their money and here I am trying t save you your's. 

It will take it from 6 to 12 roughly. Idk if I will ever resaw anything that big but would be nice to have the option. Especially if it’s free! I’m a cheap bastard, usually bites me and costs me more in the long run tho. 😉. I’m almost thinking of just asking for a return of my money at this point and just cut my losses. All I’d be out is some time and about $50 spent on blades. 
 

Boxing this thing back up hasn’t been a lot of fun either.....had a neighbor over this morning to help set the machine back in the box.  Hard part is doing the puzzle of packing all the parts in their spots. No clue on some of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Boxing this thing back up hasn’t been a lot of fun either

I've been lucky in that way because I am one of those people that as soon as something is set up I cut up and dispose of all the boxes and packing material.   


“If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”  John Wooden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chet said:

I've been lucky in that way because I am one of those people that as soon as something is set up I cut up and dispose of all the boxes and packing material.   

I usually do that as well. With this one I plugged it in before I had a chance to burn the boxes. Had a gut feeling that it might be going back right away. Am really surprised that they don’t have rainbows and unicorns drawn all over them from the girls playing in the shop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jamie said:

rainbows and unicorns drawn all over them

That would certainly brighten Grizzly's day when that box arrived.  Who wouldn't smile upon seeing that art work.

  • Like 1

“If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”  John Wooden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The saw is boxed up and ready to ship. Hopefully not a 2 week process of shipping back and forth. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just he them send you the 17” this time for the trouble 😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tmize said:

Just he them send you the 17” this time for the trouble 😏

Now there is an idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have actually, and am ashamed to admit it, forgot to turn my Grizz bs with the riser off due to how quiet it runs. When my dc finally wound down, I heard a slight noise and realized what I had done. Hope your replacement is as good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 9:50 PM, Coop said:

I have actually, and am ashamed to admit it, forgot to turn my Grizz bs with the riser off due to how quiet it runs. When my dc finally wound down, I heard a slight noise and realized what I had done. Hope your replacement is as good. 

I can only hope for that! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After returning the saw last early last week I looked at the tracking and Grizzly recieved it on Thursday.  I called them on Tuesday asking if they found anything out on it, their respose was that they didnt have the saw.  Went over the tracking numbers with them and they agreed that the saw was at their place but nothing has been done with it.  Not in their notes that they even had it.  

Jump ahead to today, same thing.  Nothing showing on their end that it was even there.  Frustrating. Half tempted to ask for a refund. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should have shipped you a new saw!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kev said:

They should have shipped you a new saw!

I agree. I mentioned to them that this process has drug on long enough. Half tempted to say to them ship a new saw or a refund. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Real frustration is they usually have good tools at a real affordable price.  Especially when you have a young family and you are trying to be wise with your shop dollars.  A lot of the other companies don't have anything near this price point.


“If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”  John Wooden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Kev said:

That’s what I’d do bud. 

Hey wouldn’t you know it they called me back and said the tool is defective. Am on hold with them now. 

 

2 minutes ago, Chet said:

Real frustration is they usually have good tools at a real affordable price.  Especially when you have a young family and you are trying to be wise with your shop dollars.  A lot of the other companies don't have anything near this price point.

Yeah I agree I have bought a few other things from them and haven’t had to much issue. For the money they are good products. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jamie said:

Hey wouldn’t you know it they called me back and said the tool is defective. Am on hold with them now. 

Ok..  That was 2 hours ago...  My ears are burning up 😉

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...